As a member of the Accounting Department, you will perform all activities necessary to process payroll, including maintain related records, filing tax reports and voluntary deduction reports, processing involuntary deductions such as levies and garnishments, preparing accounting transactions and documents, documenting and updating procedures, and preparing reports for management. The incumbent of this position is solely responsible for all payroll related activities and works closely under the direction and supervision of the Accounting Manager to carry out all necessary financial management and fiscal control policies and activities for administration.
Duties will include:
- Ensures timely processing of all payroll in accordance with labor regulations and standard accounting principles.
- Develops systems and protocols to direct the collection, calculation and entering of pay data.
- Works with associated internal resources (including third-party vendors) to ensure security protocols are in place for all pay systems.
- Keeps abreast of current payroll tax requirements and relevant laws associated with the processing of employee wage data, including payroll taxes, employee federal and state income and social security taxes, and other required reporting (SUI, workers compensation, deferred benefits, etc.).
- Processes fiscal year-end reports and reconciles W-2 information for accuracy.
- Reports errors in payroll accounting to the proper management representative.
- Documents any discrepancies in payroll processing to maintain a clear record of reconciliation and adjustments.
- Works with the Human Resources department to coordinate employee leaves of absence under FMLA or other unpaid leaves to track benefit arrears for unpaid leave of absence.
- Processes wage garnishments, pay levies, and other involuntary court-ordered payments in a timely manner, including reporting to the necessary State office or jurisdiction and assisting employees with general process questions.
- Assist with annual salary adjustment program
- Reconcile monthly insurance carrier invoices
- Reconcile and fund 401k account
- Reconcile and fund H.S.A. account
- Assists staff with general questions related to payroll, wage deductions, and other pay related issues.
- Attends workshops, online trainings and seminars to gain greater payroll knowledge.
- Provides updated protocols and procedures to staff based on trainings.
- Maintain updated procedure manual for payroll processing
- Conducts regular payroll reporting as required, including weekly certified payrolls, and assists with financial audits related to pay records.
- Performs data entry related to weekly payroll processing.
- Performs filing and upkeep of employee payroll records.
- Generates reporting of payroll activities for the Chief Financial Officer and Accounting Manager.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Accounting Manager.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise extreme discretion
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to work on multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred.
- Minimum 3 years’ payroll experience
- Strong Excel and data entry skills
- Knowledge of payroll-related laws, 401(k) administration, benefits, tax issues, compliance, and other important payroll concepts
- General Ledger reconciliation experience
- VISTA/Viewpoint experience highly preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field preferred
- Associates Degree in Accounting or related field and 5-8 years of Payroll experience with 200+ workforce may be substituted for a 4-year degree.
As a Highway Contractor, it is the policy of Talley Construction Company to assure that applicants are employed, and that applicants are treated during employment, without regard to their race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability. Minorities & females encouraged to apply.
Compensation will be determined based on skills, education, and experience. Full benefits package is offered, including: medical insurance, dental insurance, paid time off and 401k retirement plan.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER